Note: Since I posted this, I have learned more about the Wesley family that gives me pause. There is evidence to show that John Wesley was never a born again Christian. See, for example:
- JOHN WESLEY WROTE ‘I do not love God. I never did. Therefore I never believed’ & Attacking Calvinism
- JOHN WESLEY TAUGHT BAPTISMAL REGENERATION & PRAYER FOR THE DEAD (WITH OTHER POPISH HERESIES)
- Was John Wesley Truly Converted? (sermon)
The sermon listed above also contains information about Susannah Wesley’s faith. It appears that for most of her life she was not a Christian and only possibly became one a few years before her death. Thus, the post below should be taken with a grain of salt and be measured carefully against the Word of God.
1. Eating between meals not allowed.
2. As children they are to be in bed by 8 p.m.
3. They are required to take medicine without complaining.
4. Subdue self- will in a child, and those working together with God to save the child’s soul.
5. To teach a child to pray as soon as he can speak.
6. Require all to be still during Family Worship.
7. Give them nothing that they cry for, and only that when asked for politely.
8. To prevent lying, punish no fault which is first confessed and repented of.
9. Never allow a sinful act to go unpunished.
10. Never punish a child twice for a single offense.
11. Comment and reward good behavior.
12. Any attempt to please, even if poorly performed, should be commended.
13. Preserve property rights, even in smallest matters.
14. Strictly observe all promises.
15. Require no daughter to work before she can read well.
16. Teach children to fear the rod.